Monday, October 20, 2008

Daniel Craig Has Done Even Better

Come this November the next in a long string of James Bond films are due to be released. The Quantum of Solace promises to be full of the same kind of wit and action that has made the franchise famous. I have no idea what is up with the name. It's ridiculous. However, the title aside, I have seen the previews and it looks great.

Daniel Craig as reinvented the character, making Bond a little more off balance and unpredictable. He is definitely a little more flawed and "human" than the depictions cast by say Connery and Moore. The character remains intriguing and as always, smooth as silk with the ladies.

I was recently introduced to some of Daniel Craig's earlier work. I have to be honest, those films are even better than Bond. Craig is great as the agent who is licensed to kill, don't get me wrong, but his earlier work is really good. I would imagine largely due to better scripts and a more comprehensive character.

One film that I just say was Layer Cake. Craig plays the title role of a drug dealer in the UK who has been very successful with a tight circle of compatriots and is preparing to retire from the life. As his plans begin to unfold so does his world. He realizes that his primary business associate is planning to give him up to the authorities and he has to work fast to save his own skin from the police and rival drug factions. He is great in the film and his supporting cast is amazing. There are too many great names to mention but trust me it is a diamond in the rough and you got to check it out.

Another film that you may not even recognize Craig in right away is Road to Perdition. This is possibly one of the best mob movies ever made where Craig plays the heir to a crime empire but puts it all in jeopardy when he decides to kill the family of one of his own hitmen. I don't think I have to tell you much more about the plot but Craig plays the role of the spoiled American born underling to perfection. The supporting cast is like something out of a who's who of the best of Hollywood. Let's just say Tom Hanks, Paul Newman, Jude Law, Stanley Tucci and I don't think you need to know anymore. It is an incredibly underrated film and you owe it to Newman's memory to check it out.

If you are a James Bond fan I am sure you are going to go check out Quantum of Solace in November even if the name is ridiculous. If you are looking for other reasons to become a fan of Daniel Craig's work don't forget to pick up Layer Cake and Road to Perdition. Trust me, you will thank me for it.

No comments:

Arts & Entertainment Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory