Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Worst Kind of Movies Ever

There are so many different kinds of movies made today. If you like action or adventure, you are in luck because every major studios sees that as a necessity with every season. If you like romantic comedies, they are almost as frequently made. There is a little something however that pops up in movie making every no and again that drives me crazy.

It isn't something that happens a lot of the time but in the spirit of the epic story telling type films that blew off box office doors for the past five to ten years, it is becoming a little more frequent in movie making and to be honest, I would really love it if it would disappear.

Most of you know what I am talking about. Let's say you are watching a film and it feels like it has been going for a considerable length of time. I'm not saying it is a bad movie necessarily but you just start to get the feeling that it has been on for a long time. So you check your watch. Upon discovering the time, you realize that you have been watching the movie for over two hours. What is perplexing, is that it doesn't even seem like it is close to resolving the central plot line. In fact, it would appear as though the central characters are still trying to put together a plan. You know what is coming... TO BE CONTINUED!!

I'm not saying that those words pop up on the screen the way they did at the end of television series in the 1970s. I'm referring to those multi chapter type productions that suck you in so you have to spend more money to come back and see what happens in the next installment. I hate it. Not too long ago I went to see The Golden Compass with my little girl. She loved it. I thought it was a pretty good movie. Except, I had no idea it was going to have one of these you-know-what kind of endings. Sorry to anyone who is reading this who hasn't seen the film.

Many years back I saw a great little action film called Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins. I really thought it was great. It was fun and comical and had a great cast of characters. If you are looking for a great weekend rental by the way, go check it out. Anyway, as the movie closed out, most of what went on in the film got resolved but it did leave you with the sense that there was more coming in subsequent movies. One thing though, those movies never happened! I was waiting for the next chapter and it never arrived. That drove me crazy.

I have been having the same creepy feeling about The Golden Compass. If somebody can confirm the next installment is on the way it would be greatly appreciated. To be honest, I would prefer that a movie begin and end in a single sitting. I don't see any reason why a story has to go beyond two or two and half hours. Sure there have been great series like Lord of The Rings and Harry Potter but they don't come along very often. Usually the subsequent films don't match the original. I usually feel like when a studio feels the need to create a continuing story line, they are just figuring out other ways to get us to spend money to see sequels or ridiculous prequels.

Regardless, it may just be me, but I prefer the story begin and end in a single sitting. I'd prefer they show some originality and come up with new and great films instead of sucking us is for epic journeys to movie theatres for films that may or may not be as good as the first.

No comments:

Arts & Entertainment Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory