Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Marvel Comic Book Hero Movies Coming Again

When I was a kid I wasn't a big comic book nut. However, I did have my share of them and was taught early on how to take care of them. I have absolutely no idea what they are worth or if somebody interested in collecting them would be honest with me about them.

What I can tell you is that I was a huge fan of the X Men. That includes all members and variations going back to early incarnations. I just thought they were cool and Wolverine would have made a good dad. Imagine having him show for up for show and tell. This is how he makes shish ka bobs. You guys may want to step back a bit.

Anyway, when the movies for the X Men were announced, I was worried they were going to be crap and end up ruining my childhood perspective on what these characters were all about. I had imagined epic battles and the coolest kinds of friendships between all of these characters. I thought about where they had come from and who they had become. I had their entire biographies in my head. Granted these were all constructed in the mind of a ten year old kid or so. I was pretty young.

The movies came out and I have to say for the most part, I thought they were great. There were elements of the characters that kind of disappeared. Wolverine wasn't quite as dirty or animalistic as I remembered and a couple of the characters who were major in the comics were very peripheral in the films. That was all OK. For what they chose to work with, the films were good. The actors were great.

So fast forward now to the Ironman series and other subsequent films. I saw Ironman and I'll be honest, I thought it was OK. I didn't think it was great. It was more interesting to watch moments of it than anything else. Otherwise, there were some plot aspects that were ridiculous and there was probably a lot more that they could have done. I will assume they are saving things for the sequel.

Robert Downey Jr. and Jon Favreau have signed with Marvel Studios to do The Avengers now. This will be another comic book super hero type film. Downey is great, maybe one of the best actors of our generation and were it not for his legal problems, would have been huge probably. He has also signed with Marvel to do not only part 2 of Ironman but also part 3. I am hoping that this glut of superhero films going into production will actually end up produce something worth watching. I always assume it is Hollywood looking to capitalize on a trend.

We'll have to wait and see if Marvel and Downey and Favreau can delivers and don't just fall back on the historic following these comic books have. Everybody remembers what happened with the Batman sequels.

No comments:

Arts & Entertainment Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory