Sunday, November 23, 2008

Twilight Vampire Movie Genre Comes Back With a Bite


It was a huge weekend for the vampire thriller Twilight. Twilight the movie took in $70.6 million, pretty much blowing away the weekend competition.


The film set a new opening weekend record for a movie directed by a female, in this case, Catherine Hardwicke. The previous record holder was Deep Impact directed by Mimi Leder, that took in $41.1 million.


I have not seen the movie as of yet and to be honest, I will probably wait for DVD if I am to see it at all. It is understood that the film is based on a successful line of teenage vampire books that have done well with the female tween set.


This continues to be a hugely successful market to pursue. It would appear that Twilight is following in the footsteps of High School Musical, Miley Cyrus and the Olsen Twins. I don't imagine the film will rank with the likes of Interview With a Vampire or Bram Stoker's Dracula, both were great in their time, but I will reserve judgment until after I have seen it. I'm sure it could be great. We shall see.


Needless to say, Twilight had an incredibly successful opening weekend and it looks like a lot of teen age girls will be going out to get their fill of the dark anti hero as the vampire genre graces the silver screen once again.

No comments:

Arts & Entertainment Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory